NCFDD December Newsletter: Why Won't My Students Finish Their Dissertations?
Tuesday, December 08, 2015
Posted by: Allison Van Buren
A Note From Kerry Ann
Certified Workshop Facilitators
Anthony Ocampo, PhD, and
Mindi Thompson, PhD, at Dartmouth College
As we close out 2015, I am so excited to share with you the growth that we've experienced here at NCFDD over the last year. In 2015, we:
- Served more than 77,000 members, including graduate students, post-docs and faculty members
- Graduated 684 Faculty Success Program participants and supported an additional 980 alumni in our rapidly-expanding FSP Community
- Created a brand new Dissertation Success Program with 150 doctoral students in our inaugural class
- Visited 33 campuses to facilitate workshops, deliver keynotes and connect with our members face-to-face
- Delivered 10 core curriculum webinars, hosted 14 guest expert webinars and offered 5 multi-week courses
- Trained 8 brand new Certified Workshop Facilitators so we can provide NCFDD workshops on more campuses in 2016
- Expanded our Institutional Membership to 57 colleges and universities
- Delivered electronic support and encouragement through 48 weeks of Monday Motivators, 12 monthly newsletters and 22 Dear Kerry Ann columns in Inside Higher Ed
- Hosted 3,675 participants in our popular 14-Day Writing Challenges!
We want to finish out the year with a few more great resources for you! First and foremost, we've scheduled a BONUS guest expert webinar with Stacey Patton, PhD. She'll be working with graduate students on how to manage the thorny family issues that occur over the holiday break ("Smarty Pants Comes Home for the Holidays"). We'll also host the last installment of our "How to Be An Effective Public Intellectual" series featuring Jonathan Metzl, PhD (Vanderbilt University). We're introducing you to one of our new Certified Workshop Facilitators: Mindi Thompson, PhD (University of Wisconsin) just in case you want to plan an on-campus workshop for this spring. And our feature article answers the perennial question: Why won't my students finish their dissertations?
The NCFDD team is grateful for all of your support in 2015! It has been a wonderful year of growth and expansion and we hope our resources have helped YOU in your personal and professional growth!
Kerry Ann Rockquemore, PhD
President, National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
Click here to read the NCFDD December Newsletter