Monday, April 27 2015
Transitioning To The Summer
I don't know about you but I love the last week of the semester! I love imagining all the possibilities of the summer and celebrating all of the achievements of the academic year! I’ve been to thirteen campuses this semester and I'm spending my last week of the term giving workshops at the University of Illinois, Depaul University, hosting the Chicago Leadership Intensive and hosting the first NCFDD meet-up in Chicago! It’s going to be a whirlwind of a week, but I can’t wait to connect face-to-face with so many of you and celebrate all of your success!
I also want to encourage YOU to take a deep breath as we end the academic year and transition into the summer term to reflect on your support systems. Your NCFDD Individual or Institutional membership offers lots of great resources that you may not have been able to take advantage of during the academic year. This summer you may want to explore and experiment with some of our resources. This is a great week to ask yourself:
Do I know how my NCFDD membership works?
- Am I maximizing my investment?
- Am I getting what I need or do I need to go deeper into the available resources?
Our annual membership is designed to operate as a year-long virtual mentorship program. That means we have set up the resources to move you through a 12-month process intended to increase your writing productivity and work-life balance. Each of the following resources are available to you, at your convenience:
MONTHLY WEBINARS: Every month we offer a core curriculum webinar AND guest expert webinar. To attend the webinars live, just register online and we will send you the link, a call-in number and PIN. If you want to view the recording at your leisure, all of our webinars are available online to view later. You can access the audio and video files, slides and transcripts from one convenient webpage: click here.
THE BUDDY SYSTEM: During each of our monthly training calls, we match up accountability buddies. This is designed to support your implementation of whatever strategy we have just taught in the webinar, provide you with a peer-mentor, and to expand your network. If you want a buddy at any time, all you need to do is email Buddies@FacultyDiversity.org and put "I want a buddy" in the subject line. We match people as the requests roll in...
DISCUSSION FORUM: The NCFDD discussion forums are a private place where our members connect, share information, peer-mentor, problem-solve, and celebrate each others successes. In other words, it's the "safe space" for our online community engagement that is available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
RESOURCES AND REFERRALS: Summer is a great time to do some reading to enhance your professional development and/or try out a new support resource (professional editor, developmental editor, writing retreats, dissertation coaches, etc...). Our resources and referrals page contains all our favorite books, articles, and preferred vendors listed in one convenient place for you.
The Weekly Challenge
This week, I challenge you to:
- Write 30-60 minutes each day.
Take a moment to ask yourself: how does my NCFDD membership work? Am I maximizing my investment? Should I try experimenting with a resource I haven't tried before?
- If you've missed any of our webinars and they sound interesting to you, head over to our webinar page to download the audio, video and slides, put your feet up, and enjoy!
- If you want to work with me to draft your Summer Plan, register for this month’s core curriculum webinar: Every Summer Needs A Plan.
- If you want this to be your most productive summer ever, consider joining us for our Faculty Success Program Summer Bootcamp (the early bird deadline ends May 1st).
- If you're already maximizing the NCFDD membership resources and benefiting from them, why not forward this message to a friend and encourage them to become an Individual Member this summer or to the appropriate administrator at your university to establish an Institutional Membership. We love your referrals!
I hope this week brings each of you an opportunity to take a deep breath as we transition into the summer to make sure you have all the support and resources you need.